[OM] Re: B300 and TCon converters on Zuikos

Subject: [OM] Re: B300 and TCon converters on Zuikos
From: "Donald MacDonald" <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:52:59 -0000
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:31:56 -0500, Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Donald:
>
> That's interesting.  Your b300 is a 1.7x converter. What sort of f-stop
> loss do you see (less than 1, 1, more than 1)?  Also how does the
> picture quality compare with a conventional converter?

Oh hell, Martin! As to loss of f-stop, no idea. It must be minimal, I
really haven't noticed it. I'm sure one of the less
mathematically-challenged on the list will give you numbers, me? I just
look through the 'finder and press the t*t! Well, nearly.

I did take a couple of slides not long after I got the B300 from Tom
Scales, just to see the difference. They looked (apart from the obvious
closer perspective) identical to me. This is not a scientific assessment
(did I mention I'm not a scientist?), just my not-so-beady-any-more eyes.

I have also used it on my wife's F*j* S5000, which already has a 10x zoom,
so you can imagine the effect an extra 1.7 has... again, it looks fine.

These are high quality bits of glass. Use it with confidence, I would say.
But care.

D.

--
Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS