[OM] Re: 2SP flash in PROGRAM mode

Subject: [OM] Re: 2SP flash in PROGRAM mode
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:42:43 -0000
Piers Hemy wrote:

> I presume it uses the same program that is inbuilt,
> regardless of whether there is a flash attached or not.  And
> when the flash does fire, as you say, it gets treated as
> another OTF exposure.  I can't see any other way for it to operate.

Assuming it's used in poor lighting conditions, invariably that will
mean wide apertures, with very low flash power and limited DoF.

When you say "another OTF exposure", I presume you mean as per OM-2(N)
flash OFT (i.e. flash quench), rather than it closing the shutter (as
per 4Ti with SuperFP)? In which case I agree, but it would render the
PROGRAM mode combined with flash somewhat lame, IMO. But I agree -- I
can't see any other way, unless it just chose a "medium" aperture of,
say, f5.6, and tough if GN/5.6 wasn't enough distance.

> BTW if your experience is anything like mine, you will get
> very confused between the different ways the 2SP and the 3Ti
> work with flash.  I suggest you make a small cheat-sheet to
> remind yourself what does which, to avoid acute embarrassment.

It's a fair point, and it's why I'm determined to *understand* what is
going on, rather than just learning it. If I can understand how and why,
at least I should be able to work things out from first principles.

Regards,

Simon