[OM] Re: Wireless Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Wireless Flash
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:39:21 +0100
Rob Harrison wrote:
> Is there anything made for the OM that would permit wireless trigger of
> off-camera flash? TTL with F280 or T-series of course.... Friend
> of mine was > trying out a D70 with a strobe set-up and had one,
> fit into the hot shoe. Really slick. Allowed her to move around
> while photographing toddlers, who tend not to stay in one place
> long. Slaves would work I suppose, if you manually set the
> on-camera flash for a low enough setting.
> Thinking of getting my feet wet in a small portrait studio set up, mainly
> for photographing friends and family.

There are two approaches: wireless TTL or wireless non-TTL.

Wireless non-TTL is easy and cheap. Just use one or more
any-brand-flashes with hot shoe and preferably several auto
settings and several manual settings. Connect them to slave
triggers (i.e. WEIN -- http://www.omegasatter.com/v2/products/,
but there are dozens others). Whenever one of these combos
sees the flash mounted on or cabled to your camera doing its
job, it immediately does so too. It adds its light to that
of all others. Accordingt to the setting of auto or manual
it switches off when it "has seen/done enough". Total light
calculation may be tricky and is best done with a flash meter
(no fancy one needed).

Wireless TTL with OM is pretty rare. I know of METZ with the
SCA 3000 series. The 40 MZ.. flashes, the 54 MZ.. and the 70 MZ..
all take part of the wireless TTL system. One of these is connected
to your OM via a SCA 321 adapter (yes from SCA 300 system --
introduced in 1982 and continued since), ensuring the TTL with the
OM as any OM TTL flash does. This flash unit gets programmed to be
'master'. All further METZ flashes of the mentioned models
must be fitted with SCA 308x slave adapters, and are set to
'slave' mode. The master communicates to its slaves by some
flash impulses and thus insures the full TTL control for all
flashes.
There are radio controlled variations of this idea, being
even more expensive (I think Quantum or Lumelite do it).

Andreas