[OM] Things that go jump in the light

Subject: [OM] Things that go jump in the light
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:23:38 -0800
Today was that most elusive of things in Seattle, a sunny winter
day.  There's a skateboard area in a local park, where teenage males gather
to perform their manhood-proving rituals.  I loved the shadows, so I took a
number of shots here. This one was the best.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/E1/PC180419SkateRail.jpg
E-1, 50/1.8 OM Zuiko, 1/2000, f/8.

I also paid a return visit to my friend the Highly Wired Sheltie:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/E1/PC180434Boing2.jpg
E-1, 50/1.8 OM Zuiko, 1/1000, f/4.

Both shot RAW at ISO 100 and EV -0.3.  They were taken in single-shot mode,
not "spray and pray."

Using old manual-focus lenses on an autofocus DSLR is a mixed blessing.  On
one hand, the primes are much lighter and smaller.  The picture quality is
often better than the standard 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 zoom.  At wider apertures
and wider angles, markedly so.  This doesn't matter on Web shots or 4x6
prints, but it does make a difference on an 8x10.

On the other hand, there are slight color shifts. The lens gets
progressively brighter than the meter thinks it is, the further you stop
down.  You have to open up to meter and focus, then stop down to shoot in
bright light.  And it is weird to shoot a lens that looks and feels like a
normal lens, but gives a telephoto view when you look throught the viewfinder.

In some respects the old lenses are easier to use in dimmer light, set at
f/1.4 - f/4.  I just leave them at shooting aperture, focus and shoot.

I suspect I will be purchasing a Digital Zuiko prime or two when they are
released.  I think I will want a 50/2, but I'm holding off for now,
especially since I have a 50/1.8, 50/1.4 and 50/3.5 macro.  Autofocus will
be more necessary with a normal or wide 4/3 lens.  And I want to see what
primes are actually released before I spend any more money on the E-1 system.

My ongoing E1 gallery is at:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/E1

Enjoy!
--Peter