[OM] New member with question about 100/F2

Subject: [OM] New member with question about 100/F2
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:39:58 -0500
I’m a new member of the mailing list, having lurked in the weeds (aka
the archives) for a while. So, one more for the Canadian contingent
(Ottawa). I have found the mailing list quite useful and interesting. I
was interested to find out that I have acquired (or tried to acquire) OM
stuff from a number of people who have contributed to the ML over the
years.

I am an OM user since 1978, when I bought my OM-1, which I still have
though it is currently retired. Along with the OM-1 went a 28/3.5 and a
early Tamron 85-210 zoom. This set up carried me through on-and-off
interest in photography during trips around the world. The only problem
during this time was with the meter (twice).

At an age where older things are regaining their lustre and in the face
of the digital onslaught, I started to look at updating my OM kit while
it was still (relatively) affordable. OK, I couldn’t afford the 1970s
Ferrari or an airworthy warbird, so I was left with the OM.

I ventured on to e-bay and bought an OM-2n (the camera I couldn’t afford
in the late 70s), and upgraded my lenses: late model 21/3.5 (from KEH),
28/2, 50/1.8 (MiJ), 100/2, extension tubes, winder and sundry flash
accessories. I figured that I would try to buy “top of the line lenses”
for the type of photography that I generally do and to the extent my
wallet would permit. After all, I’m unlikely to buy another new film
camera system.

At this stage, the next purchase may be a 180mm (Tamron SP rather than
the 2.8 Zuiko). Of course, there are a number of other items that would
be NICE to have: shift lens, 18/3.5, OM-4Ti, another OM2..... Well, you
all understand, don’t you?

So, am I a Zuikoholic? Asked myself this and I suspect that I’m borderline.

I will finish with a question about the 100/2. I am still getting used
to this lens and focussing is a little tricky at large apertures (I
haven’t shot with anything over 50mm for quite a while). The DOF is
quite small compared with the WAs that I'm used to. I have briefly tried
the lens with a lowly and old Tamron X2 converter, but the results have
been so-so. Does this lens work well with converters, and if so which?
Comments welcome.

Martin