[OM] Re: why are my wet-print enlargement so flat?

Subject: [OM] Re: why are my wet-print enlargement so flat?
From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:59:51 -0800
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:52:55 -0800 (PST), AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Actually, there IS a difference in papers.  The prolab is
> probably running the less contrasty version of paper as it is
> better for portraiture and wedding work.  (don't want the dress
> to go pure white and the tux to go pure black). Fuji NPH is also
> pretty flat too and captures a pretty wide exposure band.

which is why I use NPH, latitude, and neutral colors, nothing garish, but
printed on frontier they look good (still lotsa range, nice skin tones,
better than superia)

> However, it's also possible they are still running an "analog"
> enlargement setup. Unless they use the higher contrast paper,
> the prints will be pretty much as shot. If this is the case,
> they are also doing an interneg for the slides. The standard
> setup for interneg printing results in a softer print. This
> usually manafests itself with grain noise in the shadows/blacks.

that must be it, the print IS grainy (and I overexpose NPH just a tad;
plus, digiscaned and then submitted prints dont show the grain, go figure)

> In almost all 1-hour style labs (oriented towards the general
> consumer) they are running a high contrast paper.  I believe
> that Fuji no longer provides the lower contrast paper.  The Fuji
> Frontier setups produce higher contrasts and greater saturation
> overall.

hmm, mebbe that is it. i took my negs to walmart and will pick up 8*10
done on the frontier machine and see what it looks like.

--
/S
aim:iddibhai