[OM] Re: looking for self starting image viewing program.....

Subject: [OM] Re: looking for self starting image viewing program.....
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:07:26 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, james olson wrote:

> I'm hoping someone on the list can point me in the right direction.
>
> I need a program that will allow me to burn digital images to a C.D., so
> that when a client puts the C.D. into their computer, the images load
> automatically.  I have tried using the web photo gallery in Photoshop CS,
> but it isn't recognized by all computers.

If you know that they have a web browser installed, you could use the following
bit of Javascript to automatically start the browser with your gallery:

file ShellExecute.js:

// Create an instance of the scripting Shell Object
WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell");

// Have the Shell Object call ShellExecute on our HTML file
WshShell.Run("contents.html", 1, 0);

// Destroy the Shell Object
WScript.DisconnectObject(WshShell);

and they you'll need an autorun.inf file witht he following contents:

[AutoRun]
ICON=my_icon.ico
OPEN=Wscript ShellExecute.js //B //nologo contents.html

You can remove the ICON line if you don't want a custom icon for your CD.

The nice thing about this method is that clients worried about viruses can
easily examine the script and be convinced that there are no viruses or back
doors in it.  The same can't be said if an executable is provided.
                                -mark