[OM] Re: Broke my picture-number-dial-thing

Subject: [OM] Re: Broke my picture-number-dial-thing
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:15:19 -0600
Sometimes the arm that starts the film counter counting gets stuck.  If you
open the back of the camera and look at the upper slot where the edge of the
back cover fits into the body you should see a small opening in that slot
just above and between the sprocket and the take-up spool.  (If the foam
seals have recently been replaced, the opening might have been covered up --
that's a no-no, and likely to be the problem!)  In that opening should be a
silver tab.  When the back is open, that silver tab moves out into the
opening, letting the counter return to "S" (Japanese for "Start" ;^).  When
the back is closed, it pushes that silver tab in, causing the counter to
begin moving each time the camera is wound, from "S" to 1,etc.  If that arm
is hung up, you might be able to dislodge it by gently wiggling it with the
end of a paper clip.  Or not.

Next, the counter dial itself may be gummed up.  If so, the only solution is
to remove the top cover and remove and clean the moving parts.  That's
something I wouldn't recommend for an amateur technician.

And hey -- you got all the letters in the right order!  That's better than
most of us!  (Thank you, spell checkers! ;^)