[OM] Re: Favourite things

Subject: [OM] Re: Favourite things
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:25:58 +1100

On 30/11/2004, at 7:18 PM, GeeBee wrote:

>> Yes, of course, but important things first G.
>> Do you prefer Owen to Brooke?
>> AndrewF
> It would have to be Owen. Whether with Liverpool, England or Real
> Madrid his
> ability to conjure a goal is awesome. I never heard of Brooke. Who
> does he
> play for?

Welsh Fusilliers (sp?) as i remember - so alongside Giggs.

> p.s. It was a terrible weekend here. We Brits were finally all set to
> beat
> Australia at both rugby codes. Better than that we were going to do it
> on
> the same day but you pipped us at Union and thrashed us at League. I
> was
> gutted. On the poetry thing I prefer John Betjeman but his anthology
> was the
> wrong colour :-)

Lulled you into a false sense of security - it's different when you
actually have to score a try, right?
Betjeman? Zounds! Nothing transcends Owen for war poetry in that
period, except some Sassoon.
(...once more the lie/Dulce et decorem est....  how apposite)