[OM] Re: Oly Auto Ext. Tube - Disassembly question

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly Auto Ext. Tube - Disassembly question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:30:35 -0800
Andrew McPhee wrote:

>I guess so, down here in Oz we call cross-point "Phillips-head" they were
>invented by a guy called Phillips (duh) from the USA, he is to the US what
>Mr Robertson is to Canada.

A common misconception. Cross-point and Phillips are similar at first
glance, but significantly different in detail. The unfortnate result is
that use of the incorrect driver often causes damage to the screws
and/or surroundings because of poor fit of blade into screw head. Most
of the screws in small cameras and electronic devices are cross-point
and most of the small drivers sold are also cross-point. Packaging
labels are generally accurate, but it is easy to assume that the label
'crosspoint' is, as you suggest, a way to avoid credit to Mr. Phillips.
The little box of Archer brand screwdrivers from Radio Shack that are
always sitting here on my desk correctly label themselves as "crosspoint".

>Interesting that in his own country Mr Phillips isn't given naming credit
>for his invention like Mr Robertson was.

He is indeed, and Phillips drivers have the designation and size stamped
on the shaft. Even the Canadian screwdriver sitting here has the
abreviated designations "P #2" and "P #3" on the 2 of the short
interchangable blades that are for Phillips head screws. The tool
industry is quite clear on the difference.

Moose