[OM] Re: [OT] IS-1 problem... any ideas?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] IS-1 problem... any ideas?
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:05:51 -0600
My first guess would be damage to the lens' encoder circuit.  Part of it
sticks to the bottom cover after a while, and if the bottom isn't removed
very carefully, the encoder circuit can be torn.  When that happens, the
camera doesn't know where the lens is, and so won't zoom properly.  Of
course the encoders are no longer available, but they can sometimes be
repaired.

Less likely but possible would be damage to the lens barrels themselves.
Next would be a loose roller screw in the lens.  They're known to work
loose, then jam the lens barrels.