[OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1

Subject: [OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:53:10 +0100
Hi Fernando, hi Flash-Off-Cam-Zuiks,

sorry not to answer faster. It was night over here,
and a day full of work following.

Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> How does a plain PC flash cord plugs in the T-32 ?

Not directly. But any cheap "PC plug to
hot shoe" accessory does. Take care for
insulated areas where the (unused) additional
contacts of the T32s go, or tape them off.

There are two "strategies" for me to follow:
a) No TTL (since using an OM1), just wiring
   several flashes together.
b) TTL with any TTL-able OM

For a) I would not wire at all. I prefer to
to have a small flash on hotshoe, not aiming
at subject, but looking "into the sky". This
one merely triggers one or several more
flashes (any brand, any OM flash) equipped
with cheap slave sensors. They make the light.
They are the main modeling sources. No wires to
trip over, no multiple currents on flash switches,
no hassles besides figuring the total output
of that setup (other story I guess -- I use
a cheap flash meter).

b) is done easiest with Connector 3 (on OM2)
or 4 (on OM2n) or with any OM with built-in
cable connection. Wiring done using T-cables,
T-multi-connectors, T20-connectors, T-you-name-it.

b) Second approach, leaving the Oly-only route:
Using SCA 300 systems with Metz multi connectors
and cables (up to seven flashes), full TTL control.

Or -- even more elegant: METZ SCA 3000 system with
one SCA 321 controlled METZ 40 MZ.. on OM (any TTL)
and any amount of additional 40 MZ.. on SCA 3080
slave controllers. This setup is wireless, but
fully TTL controlled by the camera. Other, newer
METZ SCA 3000 flashes may be integrated as well.

Andreas