[OM] Re: another 135mm, focal length no one likes

Subject: [OM] Re: another 135mm, focal length no one likes
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:17:02 -0800 (PST)
> If you look at Gary's tests, you will see that the 135/3.5 is
> a good lens, not a great one, in terms of resolution and
> contrast. One should keep in mind the use for which it is
> intended as well. The decent, but not super sharp, moderate
> contrast characteristics could mean quite a good portrait
> lens.

I agree with this assessment, except that the bokeh of the
135/3.5 isn't quite as nice as the 100/2.8.  My 135/3.5 is
sharpest at around F8, which means that the background tends to
be a bit cluttered. If I'm doing studio work, it doesn't matter,
though.  If I'm doing outdoor portraiture with full-length
framing, the 135/3.5 does work pretty well since the background
goes soft but not overwhelmingly.

In reality, the 135/3.5 produces almost identical pictures to
the 135/3.5 on an old Mamiya C220 I had.  Framing is obviously
different, but the optical traits are similar.  However, the
look from the 135/3.5 on my Crown Graphic is radically
different. ;)

AG

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com