[OM] Re: Sunpak 522 Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunpak 522 Flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:08:58 -0500
At 06:34 PM 11/21/04, Bob Docherty asked:

>I searched the archives to see if the Olympus module R.S. OT-5 permitted
>this flash to act like a T32 with TTL control. The only reference I seemed
>to find was John Lind asking the same question. Does anyone use this
>combination? Thanks for any clue. I have one on the way from that site as
>part of a package that had a Gossen Luna Pro SBC buried in with this flash
>and a Konica TC (which will find its way back to that site).

Yes . . . The R.S. OT-5 allows a 522 to be used under both "Normal Auto"
and "TTL" modes with the Auto sensor on the module that slides into the hot
shoe.  It requires a 6V cell (# 544) to function (goes into the module).

An interesting concept, much different from the current Sunpak 555/120J-TTL
module (which is more like the Metz concept).  Control of the flash for
Auto or TTL can be done from the module itself, which has a concentric dial
system on top nearly the same as found on the side of a Sunpak 544 (which
can only run Auto).  One thing I've never been able to solve is the mystery
of the "N/T" slider on top.  It obviously does something mechanical with
the Auto sensor . . . it's throw is much too long to be purely an
electronic switch . . . my best guess being that the "T" is a telephoto
position that narrows the sensor's angle of view.  I know it's not the
Auto/TTL switch . . . that's a small "TTL/Nor." slide switch on the
back.  If used in "Nor. Auto" mode, it can handle film speeds from ISO 25 -
800 in 1/3rd stop increments, has an 8-stop range for lens aperture
settings in 1/3rd stop increments, and shows max flash range for film speed
and aperture combination in both meters and feet.  Far more flexible than a
T-32.  That brings me to the second mystery of the module . . . white
markings on the right edge of the aperture/distance window which shows
"0.5" in line with the meter scale and "1.6" in line with the foot
scale.  Never have been able to deduce what those are there for.  It is
approximately the ratio of meters to feet though . . . 0.5 meters ~= 1.6
feet (to two significant digits).

There's also a standard Sunpak sync cord socket (very similar to a mini
phone jack but not quite identical) on the left side of the module that
allows triggering using a cord (center contact and Auto mode only; not
TTL).  The hot shoe foot on the bottom has not only the three Shoe-4
contacts, it also has the plastic pin found on the T-20/32 that lifts the
two Quench/Ready/OK pins to keep them from shorting in the event it's slid
into a hot shoe that's not a Shoe-4.  But wait . . . there's more.  There's
a second "cold" foot on the side . . . just like a hot shoe foot . . . but
without any contacts . . . that would allow mounting it into a metal "cold
shoe" that would short all contacts including the center one.  Back panel
has the TTL/Nor. switch previously mentioned, plus a test button and a
battery check button (for the 6V inside the module).

The 522, 544 and 555 are cousins, with the 555 a more distant one, but it's
obvious they're all related.  Unfortunately, the 544 can only be used in
Manual or Auto, and the 555 moved on to a new module system incompatible
with the one for the 522.  AFIK, even though the 522 is no longer made,
Sunpak still makes the "generic" remote sensor module for the 522 which is
capable of Auto only and is not dedicated to any camera system (only has
center contact).

-- John Lind