[OM] Announcing the 2004 Winter Solstice Photo Exchange!

Subject: [OM] Announcing the 2004 Winter Solstice Photo Exchange!
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:04:08 -0600
Brian Swale and I have come to an agreement with Bob Gries to
coordinate another exchange of favorite photographs among OM-List members.

Brian and I feel it is important to tell you that this Exchange almost
didn?t happen. Bob did a fine job of coordinating these Exchanges (tip
of our hats to Bob!) and we appreciate his work in getting these going.

But the success of an Exchange really depends upon the people
exchanging photos. Over the past two Exchanges, several participants
have been quite disappointed when their Exchange partner sent their
photo late, never sent it at all, etc.

Therefore, we?re asking you to make three commitments to having this
Exchange be a success ? and asking you to "sit this one out" if you
cannot make those commitments.

How Does This Exchange Work?

Participants are assigned anonymously to exchange an 8" x 10" (or 8" x
12" or A4) print of a photo they have taken using an Olympus camera
(film or digital).

The subject of the photo is up to you, within the bounds of good taste
(in other words, would you place this photo on _your_ wall?). It's
always nice to provide a little information about the subject and
exposure (equipment, f-stop, exposure time).

Brian has offered us Web space so that, once individuals open up their
prints on the Solstice (December 21), all of us can share the
exchanged photos virtually.

What Is "The Fine Print"?

When you sign up, you are making three commitments. Please pardon the
use of ALL CAPS, but, if you read nothing else, read that text:

Apparently, several people in previous Exchanges never sent a print to
their swap partner. The OM-List is an international list, so it is
smart to assume that you will be assigned an overseas partner. Yes, it
does cost a little more to post overseas. It is not too difficult to
find suitable mailing envelopes; several companies sell mailers which
are inexpensive, highly resistant to folding and damage, and which are
sent at letter-mail rates (which are not expensive or onerous).

IF YOU TAKE PART IN THIS EXCHANGE, BE PREPARED FOR THE EXPENSE OF
MAILING YOUR PRINT SAFELY TO YOUR SWAP PARTNER.

During the last two Exchanges, the suspicion has grown that, in a
surprisingly high number of instances, the international postal system
seems to have failed. Postal systems in various countries have
different efficiencies. We are also getting a somewhat-late start to
this Exchange. Time is of the essence.

IF YOU TAKE PART IN THIS EXCHANGE, ALLOW AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE FOR
 YOUR PRINT TO BE SENT TO YOUR SWAP PARTNER IN TIME FOR THE SOLSTICE ON
DECEMBER 21.

Finally, in previous Exchanges, far too few participants provided a
scan of their print for posting on the Web site that Bob created for
previous Exchanges. Part of the enjoyment of an exchange like this is
sharing with the entire group -- especially those who worked to make a
success of it.

IF YOU TAKE PART IN THIS EXCHANGE, YOU ARE COMMITTING TO EMAILING A
SCAN OF YOUR PRINT TO BRIAN.

Dimensions for the scan should be (at most) 640 pixels on the long
side for portrait-format shots; 640 to 800 pixels on the long side for
landscape-format shots. Send the scan to Brian at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
using the subject "(OM) 2004 Winter Solstice Print Exchange image".
Not using this subject may result in anti-spam measures inadvertantly
deleting your email.

IF YOU CANNOT MAKE THESE THREE COMMITMENTS, PLEASE DON?T DISAPPOINT
SOMEONE ELSE BY ENTERING THE EXCHANGE.

How Do I Participate?

Send an email to me at steve@xxxxxxxxxxx using the subject "(OM) 2004
Winter Solstice Print Exchange". Include your name and mailing
address. I need to have your email NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT GMT, SUNDAY,
NOVEMBER 28 (you?ve got one week!). Again, not using the specified
subject may result in anti-spam software accidentally deleting your email.

As soon as I receive partner information, I will begin emailing
participants with the name and address of the individual to whom they
should send their print.

Again: participants are urged strongly to send their Exchange print in
time to arrive for the Solstice (December 21) -- especially those
sending photos long distances. Think how disappointing it would be to
have a gift-giving occasion and to have someone forget to send their
gift to you -- and mail as soon as possible!

Because, this year, we?re already a little late in getting going, all
participants will need to swing into action without delay.

When you have sent your print, send a scan to Brian for placement on
the Web page.

Questions?

Please contact me or Brian (at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). Thanks -- and
enjoy the Exchange!