[OM] Re: Re: Re: Re: Another flash question, I'm afraid

Subject: [OM] Re: Re: Re: Re: Another flash question, I'm afraid
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:41:48 -0000
Andreas Pirner wrote:

> Where are you heading?

Thanks Andreas and Piers for the info. I understand now.

I'm heading towards the OM-3(Ti) and the difference between TTL and X. But I
wanted to understand the route to the answer rather than just the answer to my
question. I believe I can now answer my question, but without the background I
wouldn't have been able to do that, nor would I have had the real understanding.

My question is: What is the difference between TTL and X on the 3(Ti)? (I've
been used to X as opposed to FP, you see...)

I now know the answer: on X the camera won't try to quench the flash (just as
on Manual on the OM-2). So if you want TTL flash the lever needs to be set to
TTL and the flash to either "full control by OM-2" or one of the manual
settings. If you want auto flash (i.e. flash-controlled flash) you can set the
lever to either TTL or X (it makes no difference as the flash will ignore the
quench command should it come sooner than it switches itself off anyway). And
if you want full manual flash you have to set the lever to X and the flash to
either "full control by OM-2" or one of the manual positions.

The book of words, you see, just tells you what to do. I like to go a step
further and understand why.

Thanks,

Simon