[OM] Re: Another flash question, I'm afraid

Subject: [OM] Re: Another flash question, I'm afraid
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:40:51 +0100

Simon Worby wrote:
> If the OM-2(N) is used with T-flash but set to auto (rather than
> "full control by OM-2"), could the OM-2(N) attempt to quench the
> flash itself (rather than the flash doing it) when it thought
> there was enough light, and would it succeed?

No. The sensor of the flash takes full control.
The TTL-OTF measurement is disabled. This mode
of operation may be useful for fill flash, since
the "real" aperture (set on lens) and the one
set at flash may differ, and thus give the desired
fill effect. Example: Lens set to 8, shutter speed
hopefully slow enough to sync flash. Setting T32
in auto mode to 5.6 would give flash fill with
one stop under (the flash is "thinking" that the
lens is wider open and cutting off accordingly).
Setting T32 to 4 give two stops under fill.
Good for filling shadows in portraiture.

Since this method works with all flashes with an
auto mode (Sunpak, Metz, Vivitar ...), a simple
flash cord is enough. No dedication neccessary,
no T32 really needed. Other flash brands then
may offer more choices of f-stop settings and/or
more power.

The strength of OM and T-flashes is TTL/OTF
control, and this especially with more than
one unit of flash.

Andreas