[OM] Some minor horn tooting and chest beating

Subject: [OM] Some minor horn tooting and chest beating
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:24:40 EST
Over the past year or two along with my pertinent OM posts, OT posts, flame
throwing and other such use of bandwidth, I have encouraged others to set goals
for themselves, to look at ways to grow in their photography, to participate
in contests, to join clubs and perhaps just to push the envelope a little.

I have for the past two years been a member of the Houston Photographic
Society (an 85 member organization) and have entered 2 prints each month in
their
print competition.  During that period of time, I've collected a couple of
hands full of 2nd Place, 3rd place and honorable mention awards, however a 1st
place ribbon has eluded me . . . until October when I took a first place in the
category A color and a 2nd place in our special category for month which was
artificial light.  The first place photo may be seen at www.hpsonline.org. Look
in the "News & Events" from the drop down menu and then in "Silver
Image-Current".  The Silver Image is our news letter and may take a little
while to
download, however you may find some of the other stuff included to be of
interest.
You may notice that, yours truly is going to be President of the club in 2005
or at least I think that is what it says, as I haven't downloaded the Silver
Image to my very ancient and slow PC at work.  This is just one way I have
been honored with an opportunity to serve others who have similar interests to
mine.  There are opportunities for each of us, if we keep our eyes and ears
open.

Last evening, my bride and went to Clear Lake, Texas which is right across
the street from the Johnson Space Center, to attend the opening of a juried
photography exhibit sponsored by The Arts Alliance Center at Clear Lake.  124
artists submitted a total of 464 entries for possible inclusion in the exhibit.

111 pieces, representing the work of 63 photographers/artists were selected.
Two of these were mine.  One of these was my entry in the "Through a Window"
TOPE and the other was my HPS 2nd place winner from last month.  This was the
first time I had entered a juried photographic competition and I was rather
pleased with the results.  Having done this once, I now have a better idea of
how
to enter next time.

The things I've mentioned above, along with my participation in the HPS
portfolio review last month, have all helped to keep me on the playing field
rather
than in the bleachers.  I would encourage each of you to find some way to put
yourself on the playing field as that is truly where the rubber meets the
road.   Bill Barber