[OM] Re: Northern Lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Northern Lights
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:00:14 -0000
That puts things in perspective for me AG - it would be about 15 years ago
that in the far north of Scotland (58.15N 5.00W - approx the same latitude
as Juneau, Alaska) I chanced to look out of the window late one summer
evening...  We spent a long time on the deck gaping at the red shimmering in
the night sky (while the local midge population also gulped in amazement -
attheir fortune in finding an uncomplaining host!).  But it was very subtle
and nothing like as 'garish' as some of the photos I have been looking at
these past few days.  I had until now assumed that we had been too far South
for a 'real' aurora but your post has made it clear that what we saw was
'it' - so, thank you.

An unforgettable experience.  If only the skies here (a mere 52.08N) were
clear at night.

--
Piers