[OM] Re: E-300

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:58:32 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I rather like the looks of the C-8080. And I liked the Pen F and of
>course the OMs. I might warm up to the E-300 like I did the E-1 once I
>see it in person. Here though it makes even the digital Rebel look
>good:
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/articles/OlympusE300/Images/sidebyside01.jpg

One of these days, with a little more experience under my belt, I'm
going to write something about the differences in what is desirable,
useful, etc. and what differences of process and attitude between using
film and digital SLRs

One point is going to be about camera color. I think black cameras look
great generally much better than silver, chrome, etc. When I bought my
first OM-1 around '73, I really wanted black, but they were rarer and
more expensive. I wasn't really happy with the appearance (function was
just great!) until I bought a black OM-2n 4 years later.

However, reasonable temperatures have no noticeable short term effect on
35mm film, but they do have a very noticeable effect on noise in both
CCD and CMOS camera sensors. There was even a short thread a bit ago
about the possibility of electronic cooling of DSLR sensors. Well, that
isn't currently practical, but other measures are. We old film users
just don't have camera temperature on their minds except for extremes
like hot cars in the sun. A little shift of attitude that might include
something cool in the camera bag on a warm day, keeping the camera out
of the direct sun when walking around or setting it on a surface while
sitting, insulated bags, covering it with a white or silver cloth when
sitting on a tripod in the sun, etc., etc. can make a real difference in
results as great as the difference of a 1 stop slower film over a faster
one. Now nobody get carried away and cool their camera down so far the
they get condensation inside, OK? :-)

I'll be the first to say that I don't like the looks of the silver
finish on my 300D as much as black. On the other hand, I first became
really aware of the difference in temperature behavior shortly after I
bought it. I was out in the yard taking shots with the 300D and a black
OM body. I was really surprised when I picked up the OM that had been
sitting in the sun for a few minutes; it was quite hot. Leaving the 300D
sitting for the same time, I found it to be much cooler.

The rules for digital are different, put your thinking cap on when doing
things that seem second nature, pay attention, and your photos will improve.

Moose