[OM] no doubt I am in doubt!

Subject: [OM] no doubt I am in doubt!
From: iwert <iwert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:31:46 +0100
Yesterday I had the chance to go out with the E-1 from my local dealer for
about 20 minutes.

I had an OM-to-E adapter from Kindai with me, so I tried out the zuiko 21f2,
50f2, 100f2 and 180f2.8, and the ZD14-54.

I had not much time, so tried to put the camera in a mode I could get decent
images to my 96MB dinosour flash card. So I choose JPEG. Shooting was
Aperture priority. No scharpening, ISO 100.

First impression of the camera: good fit, nicely build, good focussing
screen (I am used to a 2-4, so not too much of a difference), very nice
smoothness and noise of shutter and mirror return.

Second impression: AF is more then fast enough for me, but I was shooting
outside.

Third impression: WHERE ARE THE FIXED FOCAL LENGHTS of 12mm and 24mm?
Because the zuiko 21 f2 is useable, but only at aperture from f4, under that
it is soft. The Zuiko 50f2 is very useable, and has a wonderfull bokeh. The
100f2 is useable as well, certainly from f2.8 on. The 180 f2.8 really needs
a tripod, which I did not have with me.

Fourth impression: The quality of the top notch OM optics on film beats the
E-1 with OM or ZD. It is NOT top notch on an E-1, but useable. I guess when
an E-3 comes, it will be very clear Olympus did not exagerate digital (at
least 4/3) needs specific lenses.

Focussing went surprisingly well for me, but I had to act fast, and so here
and there focus is not spot on. Also no camera sharpening so all images
appear a bit soft. The camera however manages to capture impressive detail
with my old zuikos!

I am providing a temporary link to my test images at

http://zuiko.fotopic.net/c333412.html

attention, these are the original files, and rather big, about 1Mb each!

I did no post processing at all, except turning the images. Interesting to
see is the slight color/brightness shift between apertures with the OM
lenses!

But now I am sure, I will only get into an E-system body if there are the
right fixed focal lenghts. For now, I feel very happy with my OM's.
I think the digital systems all will still have to grow a bit!

Iwert

PS: I tried the 35 shift as well, but it only shows Olympus will have to
work very hard to get a shift working on the E-system.