[OM] Re: [OM]Re: Hoya Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM]Re: Hoya Filters
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 06:52:05 -0500
on 2004/11/03 9:11 PM, Ali Shah at farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is household glass cleaner useable? I use a product called INVISIBLE GLASS
> with newspaper on my car windows and the stuff is amazing. I wonder if it
> would work the same on a lens/filter.

Haven't tried it myself, but I'd be cautious. Products like that often
contain ammonia. Strong alkalis will often corrode glass (though I can't
recall seeing that effect from ammonium hydroxide), but brief exposure may
not hurt. The fact that it's used on regular glass suggests this might not
be a problem.

As well, ammonia renders many metallic ions more soluble through
complexation - silver chloride is an example. This could potentially damage
optical coatings.

All that said, the only way to know is to try it, maybe on a filter you
don't care about. Bear in mind that coatings vary, so what's OK on one
filter may not be OK on another. Careful with expensive filters.

Let us know. I'll try this on my windshield though.

Andrew