[OM] Re: 11/1 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 11/1 fragment of my day
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:48:37 -0600
Quoting Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
> >There are two photos here, one that is (I hope) an
> improvement on the
> >original I posted, which got a little crunchy in the
> downsizing
> >process.  The other shows the vantage point for the
> first:
> >
> >http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/day/day28b.html
> >
> >Jim et al. -- many thanks for your kind comments.
> Moose, look any better
> >to you?
> >
> Yes, that's what was bugging me, compression artifacts. I
> should say in
> regards to this particular one of your many lovely
> images, that the
> almost pointilist effect of heavy compression is not a
> bad effect, if
> that is what one is trying for. The less compressed one
> is much more
> satisfying to my eyes as a natural image.
>
> Moose

Moose,
I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment. Thank
you!

The problem I've been having might be related to .jpg or PS
5.5 might be broken or just not working well.  I have been
saving my files from the C-8080 as SHQ .jpgs.  Results in
about a 6MP file.

When I open one of these files to reduce for web display,
the "save for web" feature tells me that I have reduced the
file to about 50KB, but when I save that file and then look
at its size, it's usually in the range of 300KB!  Until
yesterday, I have typically figured I missed a step, opened
the 300KB file, and done another "save to web" process.  I
think that sometimes that has worked, sometimes not.

If I open my original SHQ captures in PS and save them as
.psd files, they almost quadruple in size (6MP to 22MP), BUT
the downsizing and then "save for web" routines work as
expected.

I am starting to conclude that PS 5.5 doesn't quite know
what to make of SHQ .jpg files relative to bicubic resizing
 and "save to web."

Weird.

Joel W.