[OM] Compression, was About Leica ...

Subject: [OM] Compression, was About Leica ...
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 06:24:23 +0000
D'accord m'sieu ... ;-)

By "compression" do you mean the results of scaling/re-sampling a
larger file to the size needed for a monitor?  Perhaps I had better put
my shots on a gallery for inspection before continuing with my current
method of processing digital images (scans of OM shots and RF645
shots).  I find that I get the "pointillism" effect from
over-sharpening.

Chris

On 3 Nov 2004, at 3:41, Moose wrote:

>> It applies to any assessment on the internet unless we go the CH
>> route and put the full-size file on a server and we manage to
>> download it on a decent connection.
>>
> I ceratinly agree. The whole web gallery thing is great as a way of
> sharing each others' work, but troublesome in some ways. Some images
> that are just breathtaking full screen from un-, or very lightly,
> compressed files loose their oomph at 800 pixels max dimension and
> higher levels of compression. They are still pretty, but don't have the
> same magic. When I post images about details of sharpness or other
> characteristics that won't otherwise show up, I can paste a full pixel
> detail over part of the overall image, but that isn't any help for the
> problem of presenting whole images in their full quality. Limitations
> of
> server space, the many people still with dial-up connections and the
> folks who copy images without notification or giving credit all make
> the
> ideal impossible to achieve today.
>
> Moose

<|_:-)_|>