[OM] Re: looking for Olympus 35 sp / rc

Subject: [OM] Re: looking for Olympus 35 sp / rc
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:32:53 -0800
on 10/31/04 8:34 PM, james olson at james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone have a used Olympus 35 SP or RC that they are interested in
> selling?   Comments on which to look for and why would be appreciated as
> well.

Hmmm... I have one of each, or so... and will comment though I don't want to
sell any. There is quite a difference in these cameras. The 35-SP is
considerably larger and heavier, has a faster lens of slightly longer focal
length, and a wider range of shutter speeds. The meter cell is offset from
the lens, so use of filters is more involved. A good example will typically
be somewhat more expensive than the 35-RC.

The 35-RC is smaller, lighter, and handles differently. The low end of the
shutter speed range is limited to 1/15, and with a 40/2.8 lens this makes
use of the 35-RC less capable in low light. The meter cell is on the end of
the lens, within the filter ring, so filter use is simplified. The
construction of the 35-RC is less robust than the 35-SP, but in use I feel
both are similar in durability. The 35-RC is probably more available, and
should be about1/2 to 2/3 the price of a similar condition 35-SP. Both are
capable of fine sharp pictures if handled correctly.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...