[OM] T45 -- was: Cheap t32 on ebay

Subject: [OM] T45 -- was: Cheap t32 on ebay
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:45:37 +0200

Garth Wood wrote:
> >Henrik Dahl wrote:
> >Yes, I see. Thanks. It's a bit of a monster, isn't it?
>
> No worse than the equivalent Metz "potato masher," really.  And
> the T45 can be used in a right-handed configuration with a motor
> winder or drive, freeing up the left hand for focusing whilst the
> right takes the shot.  All in all, a reasonably elegant bit of
> engineering.  (Same can be said for the T32 with BG2, of course...)

My T45 feels considerably heavier than a Metz
potato masher (45 CT or 45 CL series that is --
same guide number of 45m at ISO 100/21?, like T45),
mainly from that massive NiCd cells unit inside
the T45. The Metz 45 runs on a 6 NiCd or Alkali
unit, easily and cheaply obtainable from various
sources. The T45 has a 20 NiCd battery brick. When
working -- it makes the T45 exceptionally fast,
I know. But this brick is the weak side of a T45 too,
since there is no alternative to it from Olympus.
And any NiCd dies sooner or later ...
You can go to Quantum though. A battery-less
T45 feels pretty unbalanced with its than empty
belly and still heavy double reflector head.
Mounting to MD and camera and a good chunk'o'lens
compensates to some degree.

Andreas