[OM] Thanks Ozzie Zuiks!

Subject: [OM] Thanks Ozzie Zuiks!
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:44:21 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to extend a public thank you to all the Ozzie Zuiks who so
graciously spent time meeting and visiting with me while I was in Australia for
holiday.

Andrew Fildes and I spent a couple of days together, foraging about Melbourne.
Andrew proved an informative, entertaining guide and conversationalist. The
Burke and Wills story was notable...two explorers starving to death in the
Outback, never asking the Aborigines for help, and the Aborigines, who couldn't
understand how two men could starve to death surrounded by food.

We also met up with Wayne Harridge and Peter Davies for lunch. Thanks to Andrew
and Peter for their instructions on getting me to Philip Island for the MotoGP
with a minimum of hassle.

In Sydney, I had a great time meeting up with Marc Lawrence and John Wheeler.
We spent a very nice time photographing at the Chinese gardens, and a nice
lunch at the tea house. John also called me on my one sunny day in Sydney and
met me in Manly, whereupon he ever so kindly drove me out to his home, and then
out for a look at West Head. He and his gracious wife were wonderfuls hosts for
the day. Many thanks, John!

I am now here in Toronto, attending a Genetics conference, but when I get a
chance, I will post a link to some photos from my photo excursions with the
Ozzie Zuiks.

Thank you all again for making the trip fun and memorable.

I have posted a set of photos on SportsShooter from the MotoGP. Photographing
the MotoGP with credentials was a wonderful experience. I have my photo
credential from Dorna autographed by (now six-time) World Champion Valentino
Rossi as a souvenir. I apologize if the photos look too light on some of your
monitors...I originally prepped these on the cheesy Dell laptop display (with a
bad case of 18 hr jetlag, I might add),  where they looked fine, but they
turned out to be notably too dark in the midtones on my Dell LCD desktop
display at work. I reworked most of them to be lighter, but depending on how
your monitor is set, this could vary noticeably. They may look fine or the may
look too light.  They are based on a monitor profile using color temperature to
D65 (6500K) with a targeted luminance of 85-90 cd/m^2 for CRT monitors. If
you're not hardware referencing your monitor, obviously YMMV. Until I get my
new Monaco Optix XR Pro next week for monitor profiling, I don't have
 a good monitor luminance reference from which to work from, hence the possible
confusion.
Here is the link to the SportsShooter gallery:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=1138

Cheers,
Stephen.