[OM] Leica / Voigtlander

Subject: [OM] Leica / Voigtlander
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:47:06 +0100 (BST)
Wayne,
     Like you I have built up my Olympus kit over a
number of years. I find I get better results with it
when I "think" about my shots. Usually use OM1n or
OM4Ti on manual.
       Most of my shots are B+W. Landscapes or
architecture. "People" photographs are not my thing,
although I don't mind street scenes with people in
them.
When in the States last year I picked up a Leica 50mm
Summicron in mint condition..still attached to a macro
stand, for $8 at a flea market!
  I had saved up almost enough for an E1...but then I
sat down and really thought what I wanted from my
photography. I really have no interest in digital. I
do not need autofocus. I can get Ilford XP2 processed
in 20 mins..a 20 min drive away. Same with colour neg.
Most of my photographs are taken using lenses between
15mm and 90mm.
   I am at ease with mechanical things..watch is
autowind "clockwork" not digital... For me it was a no
brainer...get a Leica or Voigtlander body. Ordered a
Bessa R2 from Stephen Gandy, along with a 35mm lens.
  Then found a Gorgeous Leica M6 Titanium with Emu?
leather covering in the Uk and blew the rest of my E1
savings...have since bought a mint 15mm voigtlander
lens and am on the slippery slope..............

Just like using the OM1n or 4TI in manual the Leica
gives that feeling of being thought through. Solid
mechanics and the Voigtlander lenses are superb. The
Bessa Body is good...But not in the same league as the
Leica. Gives me great enjoyment...and that is what it
is all about.
    Bill I agree you cannot " take it with you" but I
am just spending it in a different way.  :-))
  Comment that I like and could be applied to
digital.....The Americans spent millions developing a
pen that could write in space...The Russians took a
pencil..         Regards,

=====
Regards
  John Duggan,