[OM] Re: Browsers (was "10/19 fragment of my day")

Subject: [OM] Re: Browsers (was "10/19 fragment of my day")
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:39:24 -0500
The difference in appearance of a graphic would be much more likely the
monitor and monitor settings (check the color depth in particular) which
are unrelated to the "http" browser software.  The other thought that comes
to mind is age of the monitor.  Aged monitors, especially ones in which the
flyback is getting weak (it generates the very high voltage used to propel
electrons at the screen at very high velocity) can have a number of
symptoms, color rendition being one of them.

Browsers do behave differently, a discovery I rapidly made when creating my
own website some number of years ago (in the era of IE 4.x and NS
4.x).  They still do!  However, the differences are how specific encoding
in HTML, XHTML, XML, style sheets, etc. are handled.  There are "standards"
for HTML, XMl, SHTML, ASP, PHP, etc., but browsers don't always adhere to
them entirely . . . nor do some of the tools used to create the web site
code . . . and some browsers are more "tolerant" of web site code that
isn't 100% compliant with the standard.  IMVHO, Bill Gates has created some
tools that do not generate clean coding . . . it's sloppy in places.  Then
he makes his browser (IE) tolerant of this sloppiness.  Why would he do
that?  I have my conclusions; you can draw your own.

Regarding graphics (GIF, PNG, JPG, JPEG, TIFF) . . . if they are displayed
in the browser at all (i.e. if it handles the MIME or file type), the
graphic itself should look the same.

-- John Lind