[OM] Re: E-lemma

Subject: [OM] Re: E-lemma
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:14:17 -0700
I agree with almost everything you say, but I would like to put this
designed from the ground up statement to rest. Yes, they were. Because
they had to. The OMs were designed from the ground up because Olympus
did not make a system 35mm full frame SLR before. The E-1 was designed
from the ground up because Olympus did not make a modern autofocus 35mm
system camera before. To make failure to keep up with the competition
an advantage is just marketing spin to me. Other makers did not have to
redesign from the ground up because they all ready had good autofocus,
sophisticated auto exposure systems, camera bodies designed around
them, perfectly fine lens systems that work on the bodies that have all
ready proven themselves in the field. The only lenses that proved
unsuitable for digital were wide angle primes and zooms which were
quickly redesigned, or replaced.

I was sentimental about Olympus too because of my OM, but when the
digital bug bit me earlier two years after they announced the 4/3
system and the camera was still not out I made my move. Olympus
announcements that there would be no compatibility with OM lenses and
discontinuance of the film camera system concentrated my sentimentality
on my experiences with my OM4T and not the company who made it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA