[OM] Re: Shift Lens on E1?/software alternatives

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift Lens on E1?/software alternatives
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:49:50 +1000
On the few occasions I've done it, I was adjusting one dimension I
think. I was passing on the advice of my photo-instructor cousin who
advised with an 'up-view' distortion (which actually gives the opposite
of a keystone taper - I've built a rock arch!) that it was better to
compress the base than stretch the top - although most people
instinctively do the reverse, trying to correct what they see as the
perspective fault at the top. He reasons that you lose information in
the stretched area so that although it is unavoidable at times,
compression is to be preferred. This is untested by me as yet but he
does teach degree level and write for a couple of flashy digital
magazines so I trust his advice.
AndrewF