[OM] Re: Welford Northamptonshire #7

Subject: [OM] Re: Welford Northamptonshire #7
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:46:05 +1200
It was asked

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:55:21 +0100, GeeBee
<geebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Olympus/Welford_07.htm

cant be a harvester, no receiving truck adjacent, can't be plowing, wrong  end
of tractor; what is it?
--
/S
aim:iddibhai

The implement certainly IS being drawn, not pushed.  This is a 4wd tractor
with larger diameter front wheels than 2wd.

I think it is the wrong shape for a set of discs which usually are at a 45
degree angle.

It is hydraulically raised and lowered, (must be, it is so close to the
drawbar)
so I think it is a set of rotating curved blades on a long shaft, powered
through a central gearbox.  Sometimes called a "rotavator".  The extra-
smooth result also leads to this suggestion, and it would be ideal for
throwing the soil back up-hill. One of the problems of ploughing up and down
on a slope like this is that of soil-creep whereby all the loosened soil creeps
downhill.

Discs leave a rougher surface. Tine harrows are significantly longer from front
to back and also would not leave a result that was altered so much.

So sez Brian, son of a one-time farmer.