[OM] Re: E1/300 who dusts the tape then

Subject: [OM] Re: E1/300 who dusts the tape then
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:35:45 -0700
Omigosh. Someone is asking a logical question about this "feature".

Dust, completely buoyed by the air, floats into your mirror chamber and
attaches itself to your sensor, everything else. Somehow you are
expected to believe that shaking the sensor causes the all but
weightless dust, which floated in, to fall heavily through the bouyant
air in the chamber and stick to the tape in the bottom. Somehow you are
supposed to believe that whipping around the sensor has no effect on
the  air in the mirror box and does not stir up the dust that is
clinging to surfaces everywhere while shaking it loose from the surface
of preference. Even though anyone who cleans a sensor finds that the
specks he can see in his test picture are difficult to completely
remove because they are glued tight, an Oly owner has to believe that
this magically does not happen in an E-1 mirror box. And the magic tape
does not fill up or have to be replaced. Psst. If Oly does not have an
instruction in the manual for having the tape tested and replaced on a
regular basis, it doesn't work.

Sorry. Marketing hype is bad enough, but to modify a design so you can
have the hype is just infuriating and just as dishonest as saying that
OM lenses will not work on a digital camera. Saying that 4/3 design
would result in more compact design than other DLSRs with larger
sensors was just a little white lie by comparison. Hmmm. I wonder if
Oly tested the long term effects of sensor vibration on the camera
circuitry?

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA