[OM] Re: Sigma's first 4/3 lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma's first 4/3 lens
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:24:55 -0400
It was announced several months ago.  This is just a pre-Photokina
announcement.

What I'd like to see is Sigma releasing some of their Hyper-Sonic motor, ED
lenses in 4/3 mounts like the new 150/2.8 Apo-macro.

Why don't we see the high-end lenses now?

1. Likely they have a deal with Olympus to wait out the conversion of their
high-end lenses for a while to prevent competition with the Olympus' ZD's. The
specs of the 4/3 telecentricity may limit them too.

2. Sigma may only convert it's DC lenses to 4/3, preferring to keep the
high-end lenses for it's own SD9/10 cameras or other full-size mounts.

FYI, the DC lenses now consist of the following with UK MSRP:

18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC £99.99
18-50mm f2.8 EX DC £369.99
18-125mm f3.5-5.6 DC £229.99
55-200mm f4-5.6 DC £129.99