[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #238

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #238
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:35:13 -0700

>From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
>Subject: [OM] Re: The monitor debate: LCD vs CRT
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:42:19 +0000
>
>We've got one over the kitchen sink that is on 10-12 hours a day,
>sometimes 24 when the last one to bed, which is almost always me,
>forgets to turn it off.  I installed the fixture, so I know exactly
>how long it's been there with the original tube: 11 yars.  I can't
>tell it's any dimmer now than then, and the ends are only the
>tiniest bit, and equally, darker.

Walt, someone I met last year used to leave the TV on in his garage
continuously. When I asked him why, he mentioned CRTs wear out
because they are turned on and off....if you never turn them off,
they don't wear out. Don't know if it's in fact true, but interesting
hypothesis.

>But, hey, since I have now been informed by Steven that using a
>laptop LCD screen "for color-critical work or Photoshop
>editing...forget it, every laptop display I have seen are pretty
>junk for that application..." then I guess I'll just find myself
>another hobby.  What I thought was simple muddling must not even
>qualify for that lowest possible level of performance.

I don't know what laptop you're using (if you are), but everyone I
have used (and I have to a PowerBook G3 Pismo, a new Dell Latitude
C400 and  a Sony FX something or other), that I just can't *see* what
is going on  with them when I do what I need to do in Photoshop. With
respect to tonality, color casts, color correction, contrast,
highlight or shadow detail. I find them to be so sensitive to very
slight off-axis color shifts and resolve highlight contrast
differences so poorly that I don't feel I really know what I am
getting...when I print with them (having calibrated their screens
with a GMB EyeOne Display), I find that the prints don't match
anything near as well as when I use my La Cie CRT. If you're getting
results you're happy with, that's great, but I find them very poor
for that application.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!