[OM] Satisfying sounds

Subject: [OM] Satisfying sounds
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:53:46 +0000
I've been here of late shooting a lot of 6x9cm Efke 100 sheet film.  I don't
think anybody makes 2¼x3¼ in. sheet film holders anymore, but I've got a dozen
in excellent condition I've had for years, so I'm good to go.

I suppose, at least in part, the motivation behind my renewed use of sheet film
is because a certain amount of nostalgia has taken hold of me.  I had forgotten
how wonderful is the sound of a film holder being slammed home into a Graflok
back, that seriously professional and satisfyingly solid, old-timey
ker-plunkity-clunk-chunk, a sound nearly as pleasant and reassuring to the ear
as the snickety-clack-chunk-ker-plunk of jacking a round of 00 buckshot into
the chamber of a 12 gauge pump shotgun at 3:00 a.m. after hearing the sound of
breaking glass in the basement.

And the basement is where I'm heading right now.  That's where the darkroom is,
and I've got a dozen film holders to unload so a half gallon of D-76 can work
its magic on the film I shall remove therefrom.  Then I'll just reload and do
it all again, maybe tomorrow.

I probably won't need to take the shotgun -- at least, I hope not, although
since I haven't used the darkroom in some time, there may be a large and
vicious spider or two lurking in a corner waiting to pounce.  Better safe than
sorry.

Old retro farts can have fun too.

Walt

--