[OM] Re: DIY with oily slow blades on Zuiko 1.8/50

Subject: [OM] Re: DIY with oily slow blades on Zuiko 1.8/50
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:44:54 +0100
Andreas Pirner wrote:

> just out of curiousity: I got a 1.8/50 with slow
> opening, obviously somehow oily apertures blades
> for a mere one EURO. Stuff to experiment with.
> Now I wonder if it is feasable to clean those
> blades by myself AND get the thing together again,
> without creating a 21 or a 100 or a flash or ...
> (mmmh. If I think about it: 21 would be nice.
> 100 too. Need no flash though).

Are you sure it's the blades. Out of about 1/2 dozen "slow" aperture lenses
I've had through my paws, only 1 had oily blades. The others just had oily
rings.

Fixing oily rings on a 50/1.8 (and various other small lenses) takes about 20
minutes and is an absolute doddle. I've never had to fix the blades, and I
understand it's not economic on a 50/1.8.

As I say, are you sure it's the blades?

Simon Worby