[OM] Re: I want one baaa-aa-aaaa-aa-a-ad

Subject: [OM] Re: I want one baaa-aa-aaaa-aa-a-ad
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:17:38 -0400
At 10:26 PM 9/16/2004, Moose wrote:
>Skip wrote:
>
>>I'm glad to see Nikon do something spectacular and different,
>>rather than following Canon's lead.
>Well, they followed one lead from there. The new sensor is CMOS.

Well, being an analog CMOS chip designer, CMOS only makes sense
if you want low noise because of the lower heat and the ability to do some
fancy footwork with the electronics to sample out some noise, auto-zero and
potentially put the A/D or at least some of the electronics on the chip.
You can even do some sampling stuff right at each pixel site. It is not
that difficult to design your own chips in house, but I suspect it is
fabbed at some outside foundry? Especially since several foundries are
also making a lot of the lower end imaging chips (Micron for instance).
Several good engineers, a few layout designers, and you have yourself
an image sensor design team designing to an outside foundry.

Wayne