[OM] Re: lubing the winder

Subject: [OM] Re: lubing the winder
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:49:08 -0700
Tim Hughes responded to the "Great O ring" question:

> Here are measured values:
> ID        0.168?     (4.26mm)         (~ nearest US list 3/16)
>
> OD      0.268?     ( 6.81mm )       (~ nearest list 1/4 -9/32?)
> So C/S thickness:    ~ 0.05?     (1.27mm)        (= nom 3/64?)
>
> So in metric series this would nominally be:  C/S 1.27mm by 4.26mm
>
> Here are some good o-ring  information sites :
> http://www.frederickseal.com/NewFiles/tips.html
> http://www.vedovell.com/metric1.html
>
> If anybody can identify a source other than Olympus for the O-ring, I would
> be interested to hear about it.

Tim, et al,

Since O-rings are fairly tough and more importantly elastic, has anyone
tried stretching a smaller O-ring on to the shaft in question?  Since it
is being used in a application other than the one intended, maybe the
larger cross section of a -006 or 7 will shrink while being stretched
over the shaft thus the stretched condition may end up just what is
required.

As far as Metric O-rings go, good 'ole McMaster Carr doesn't even list a
  cross section smaller than 1.5mm.  In the 1.5mm cross section the
smallest ID is 5mm, a bit too large for our uses.  IF... a 1.6mm cross
section could be used there are smaller ID available but again it would
have to be stretched to fit.

I look forward to a solution, as I have a (touch glass) working Winder 2
  that will one day need help.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California