[OM] Re: I want one baaa-aa-aaaa-aa-a-ad

Subject: [OM] Re: I want one baaa-aa-aaaa-aa-a-ad
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:23:03 -0400
I'm glad to see Nikon do something spectacular and different, rather than
following Canon's lead.  The new VR lenses are nice too, they must have finally
gotten around constraining patents.  It's obvious that they are sticking with
the APS-sized sensor.  I continue to think that Canon's three-sensor lineup is
very confusing and can't be cost effective long-term.

Obviously the E-1's issue that everyone harped on, which was photosites that
were too small on the sensor, will be completely ignored now that one of the
big-boys has introduced a pro camera with small pixels.  If you do the math,
the D2X has 54% more pixels per sq-mm than the E-1, which makes the individual
pixels significantly smaller.  Discounting technological differences (which are
not trivial) what this also means is that the E-1's sensor could be sized up to
7.5M pixels with the same pixel density.

Olympus will likely introduce a consumer camera in a couple of weeks.  A new
pro body with higher pixel density and faster speeds had better follow within
6-9 months with deliery soon thereafter, or Olympus is going to get eaten
alive.  The in-camera VR/IS in the Minolta body is very, very nice.

Also the storage game is really getting out of control.  I'm going back to
aggressive editing, which I used to do with my slides, as I save too many
images.  If I'm not going to print it, need it for RAW archive, or keep it for
sentimental reasons, it's getting deleted.  I was getting worried about storage
and risk, so I went and bought an external, Firewire/USB-2.0 La-Cie 250 Gig
drive last week for $300.  Now I feel much better that my images aren't solely
risked on an internal hard disk or CD-R's.  How can you go wrong with a drive
approaching $1/Gig?

Skip