[OM] Re: 100mmF2

Subject: [OM] Re: 100mmF2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:31:42 -0700
Wayne S wrote:

>Check the two lenses at http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/zuiko/index.htm
>The 100/2 has the nod at F2.8 over the 90/2, but otherwise they
>are close in resolution.

Then again, Gary's tests give the 90 the nod over the 100 at f2.8 and
the 100 wins at f4 and then its too close to call using his criteria for
comparisons. Unfortunately, his test of the 100 at f2 failed, but the 90
example he tested on the OM-2000 is sure no slouch at f2.

I'm not arguing which is better, just pointing out that individual
samples of lenses vary and different testing setups and criteria can
give different results. Clearly both are exceptional lenses.

>100/2 has higher contrast.

Gary's tests are again more equivocal. Contrast results in the OM-200
tests seem to favor the 90mm. Based on all the posts I've read from
listees who have or have had both, including yours, it seems clear that
the 100 has higher contrast at least at the larger apertures.

Moose