[OM] Altering DX codes (i.e. can I trick the mju-II?)

Subject: [OM] Altering DX codes (i.e. can I trick the mju-II?)
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:01:40 +0930
A couple of months ago in Singapore I saw a mju-II going cheap and couldn't
resist it (first new camera in years).

I've put a couple of films through it -- one BW, one slides -- and have
been pretty impressed. I'll post some pics at some stage as I have a
couple of questions.

But what I want to do now is run another Ilford XP2 Super through it, but
this time at EI 100 rather than its rated 400 ASA.

So I'm wondering how to trick the camera into thinking it has a 100 ASA
canister.

I've found the DX codes documented here:
   http://www.bythom.com/dxcodes.htm

It's a 12 position binary encoding, a position value determined by whether
or not it is electrically conductive.

Now ASA 400 encodes as positions 4 and 5 conductive.
And ASA 100 encodes as positions 3 and 5 conductive.

So I need to change 3 to be conductive, and make 4 non-conductive.

I propose to do this:

  use black paint (or maybe tape) to make 4 non-conductive;

  use some allegedly conductive "paint" that I have somewhere
  to make pos 3 conductive (or stick on some foil?).

Any comments? Has anyone out there done this?

And what does the mju-II use as a default ASA if it can't find a code? --
another way might be to just black out all the positions.

thanks
  Andrew