[OM] Re: 9/10 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 9/10 fragment of my day
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:40:22 +1000
Spoken like a true Scot - a nation who don't play one and still can't
play the other.
Rugby League was developed for professional play - that is, big working
class lads who couldn't afford to get injured in mad, vicious melees on
the grounds that they were 'character building' as they had to earn a
bloody living at it. Thus, it has real rules rather than "Oh well, yes,
I suppose that's wrong Sir - help carry him off and please don't do it
again."
I still carry the marks (stud) of having my character built, having
been born in the heartland of one, raised in the heartland of the other
and then having decamped to where they tend to both better on any given
day. (Go Storm!)
League finals here now - this could get nasty, peevish and unsettling -
I hope.
AndrewF