[OM] Re: 200mm f4 broken at small apertures?

Subject: [OM] Re: 200mm f4 broken at small apertures?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:15:23 -0700
Moose has already answered this well, but thought that I might add
something. If you study the lens tests on Gary Reese' site for this
lens you will see that the best results were obtained with a tripod
attachment made by Bogen which supports the lens which does not have a
tripod ring, and an OM4 with self timer which allows prefire of both
the aperture and the mirror. The mirror lock up on the OM1N helps, but
a lot of vibration is also generated by the way the aperture is
actuated. And the weight of the 200/4 hanging on the front of the
supported camera just seems to magnify it. There is no way to eliminate
that aperture vibration although an auxiliary lens support would
probably be helpful and Moose's instruction on dampening the vibration
by holding which comes from Olympus. The other thing you might try is
to get the shutter speed out of the sensitive range from 1/2 second to
1/60 second by adjusting the aperture. If you can get the shutter speed
long enough so that the vibration die down is a small percentage of the
total time you can get a sharp picture. Faster film.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA