[OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: OM40 / OMG OM2 OM2n and T10 Ring Flash
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:29:31 +1200
At 14:45 -0700 2/9/04, Jeff Keller wrote:
>"no matter what the f/stop or distance"
>
>I don't know how you're testing it but light from the T10 scatters and even
>a full dump may not be enough to light the scene if you're shooting beyond
>10 feet or so.  ... It's been quite awhile since I used one but it seemed to
>me that even when using it to light up a pine cone 8 feet away the recycling
>time was pretty fast if the batteries were good. I'm not sure how you can
>tell it's a full dump other than recycling time ... after all the light is
>over in a flash ... and it won't completely blind you the way a full dump
>from a T32 or T45 will.
>-jeff

Tested it by putting a film chip in the gate to reflect during
"exposure", and focusing on a newspaper at 6 inches, at f/stops from
2 to 16, and at greater distances up to 8 feet in a dark room.

It's actually surprisingly easy to tell the differential output of a
flash by this means (as well as the recycle time, as you suggest).

The fact that it gave a full pop every time, no matter what, led me
to believe that while the sync line was working, either or both of
the control lines weren't.

See final message for conclusion.

Cheers,

Michael Kopp