[OM] [OT] Bittersweet (was Re: recent photos)

Subject: [OM] [OT] Bittersweet (was Re: recent photos)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:27:08 -0400
At 3:35 AM +0200 8/31/04, Listar wrote:
>Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:25:37 -0400
>From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: recent photos
>
>Flower or weed can affect relationships as well. A particular vine
>was growing and taking over the pine trees (and is a pest) while
>the other  half says, "but it creates such beautiful flowers."
>
>Meanwhile, I have cut the main artery of this beast that was
>about to take over my favorite pine tree, and the other half says
>"Well it didn't flower this year because you butchered it."
>I still am armed with saw and clippers, little does she know.
>The thing is spreading totally beyond control at this moment.
>I won't tell what gets cut.

It sounds like Bittersweet, at least by invasiveness.  Our lot was
overrun with Bittersweet vines because the previous owners liked the
little flowers and berries, and didn't notice that it was killing
everything.  The largest vine trunk was 3.5 inches in diameter, and
it had killed a full-size pine tree.  I sawed the vine trunk in half,
and painted the cut surface of the root end with Roundup, to poison
the roots.  Bittersweet has extensive runners, so one must kill the
root system, or it keeps coming back.  There were lots of smaller
Bittersweet vines as well; it has taken two years to mostly beat them
down, but I'll probably be "managing" the problem for a few more
years.

Joe Gwinn