[OM] Re: 8/24 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 8/24 fragment of my day
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:19:13 +0100
I suppose, Joel, I meant that they build them to last only 25 years –
depreciated capital cost term – but the blasted things start to get
mouldy, scab off concrete and generally look ghastly.  I think that we
have reduced the incidence of these "carbuncles" recently, but there
are still plenty of 70s buildings around; they look worse and worse,
whereas the buildings from the 40s and 50s still look sound and
reasonably attractive.  Architects, especially famous ones, have a lot
to answer for ;-)

I remember the balustrade on Hillsborough Bay, Tampa.  It was probably
quite attractive when it was built, but the reinforcement for the
concrete had rusted, expanded and scabbed off shards of concrete.

I admit, though, that some of them make good subjects for urban
landscape – especially abstracts.

OM content: I bought my OM4 new in Tampa Camera Barn in 1989 ... ;-)

Cheers

Chris

On 25 Aug 2004, at 12:43, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Unfortunately, Chris, they last longer than that around here ...
>
> I am glad I got that shot when I did.  I'd always intended to get a
> photograph of Nevelson's work.  Much of the cement work in the court
> area
> of this building is breaking up.  They've moved the sculpture who knows
> where pending some sort of patching up.
>
> Joel W.
>
> At 06:12 AM 8/25/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> I like it too Joel.  It does not remind me of any sport, but I like
>> the
>> play between different edges, smoothed or cornered.  The tree, of
>> course makes it.
>>
>> However, I hate those buildings by themselves.  They have tiny windows
>> and they are built to last about 25 years ­ a dreadful waste of the
>> earth's resources.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On 24 Aug 2004, at 23:50, Siddiq wrote:
>> <|_:-)_|>