[OM] Re: Zuiko 85mm f2 bokeh

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 85mm f2 bokeh
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:34:38 +1000
> Wayne Harridge [mailto:wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> http://lrh.structuregraphs.com/diary-20040824.htm

Note, my comments are based on inexperience and a tad of colour
blindness, so disregard as necessary. :-)

> Which lens has the best bokeh ?

I tend to think the bottom, though this might be influenced
by what I say further on. Without knowing appropriate terminology,
I'll just say that some aspects of the out-of-focus areas seem
less "solid" blur...thinner?...than the Zuiko (the fence
post back-left) and some other areas) and so are less distracting
to me. Contrary to this though, the tree looks more "solid" in the
lower photo, so I just contradict myself. I'm no good at this. <g>

None of the above is probably at all helpful - just vague,
non-definitive pseudo-description. Sorry. The differences seem
marginal to my untrained eye though. The below - colour...and
possibly contrast (or is it speed? See below) would make more
of a difference to me.

> Are there any other properties of the images where one lens
> looks better than the other ?

The colour of the lower looks much better to me - the white cross looks
white, and the blue bluer. To me, the cross from the Zuiko-photo has an
icky yellowish tinge to it (note my colour blindness, and that this
might
have more to do with my monitor than the photo) The lower photo
looks like it might have a marginally faster 1/1000 as well though,
as it seems darker, particularly on the right, and there seems more
detail in some of the bright areas (writing on the cross and detail
in other headstones) and less in the darker, so perhaps this is
influencing some things I say above.

> Anyone like to take a guess at what the other 85/2 is ?

I'd just be guessing.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz