[OM] Re: Aug/04 NatGeo... what camera is DA Harvey holding?

Subject: [OM] Re: Aug/04 NatGeo... what camera is DA Harvey holding?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:10:55 -0700
on 8/21/04 12:42 PM, Siddiq at iddibhai@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Aaaah, there we go; it's this one:
>
> http://www.dantestella.com/technical/iiiseries.jpg
>
> recognizable from the gold colored "Professional" smack in the center.
>
> curious those, the RF seperation isn't all that much (by that I mean like
> a leica, where the viewfinder is on the far left (camera held to eye) and
> the other window is on the other side of the lens.. this has it side by
> side. i think it is called the base length? woudlnt focus be more critical
> on a larger format? and it is quite a large camera!
>

> --
> /S
> aim:iddibhai
> icq:104079359
> email/msn:msidd004atstudentdotucrdotedu

Remember the overall size of the camera... the baseline length is tied into
a number of things. For the relatively limited range of lenses offered (I
think they have from ~45mm wide angle [equivalent to a 21 or so on 35mm] to
a 150mm telephoto [equivalent to ~135mm or 150mm maybe in 35mm format]) the
baseline length is probably sufficient (probably 50mm or more, compared with
68mm or so on Leica M's and about 30mm on the Olympus 35SP or similar
cameras. Viewfinder magnification also affects rangefinder focus accuracy,
I'm not sure what magnification the big Fuji's have but if its relatively
high e.g. .85x or even 1.0x then that's a lot of rangefinder capability. I'd
love to have one of these just for the 3 rolls of film a year I'd run
through it. When I've handled them, what seems strange is that they are
'light' for their size, you'd expect them to weigh 5lb for how big they are,
but they don't come near that...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...