[OM] Re: Steam Locomotives (Was Gayton Northamptonshire #3) - OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Steam Locomotives (Was Gayton Northamptonshire #3) - OT
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:04:41 +0200

At least when I was watching locomotives in the 50's in the South-East of
England we escaped smelly diesels for the most part, as the steam
locomotives were mostly replaced with electric locomotives using the
widespread (in the South-East) third rail system.

One thing that I always regretted was that I never saw the locomotive named
after my school Dulwich. The Southern Railway built a fine 'Schools' class
of 40 large 4-4-0 locomotives, all named after famous schools. Downside was
another of them, by the way.

I come from a railway family on my mother's side; my grandfather drove
express locomotives for the old Midland Railway for many years, often over
the very photogenic Ribblehead viaduct (a very harsh place in winter) on
the way to Carlisle. I still have his locomotive driver's pocket watch,
which works fine.

Roger Key

Walt wrote:

And then about the time I was 10 or 11, there came the stinky diesels. We,
being excitable children, were initially thrilled at seeing these modern
"streamliners" as they raced down the tracks. But they didn't have any
magic; they weren't alive. They were just big, smelly trucks with steel
wheels that ran the magic off the rails and killed the soul of the
railroad. Too bad. Really too bad.

Walt